Remember when Northwestern football was synonomous with ineptitude? It wasn’t really that long ago.
But under head coach and former linebacking star Pat Fitzgerald, the Wildcats are consistently at or near the top half of the BIG. This year a 6-6 campaign netted Northwestern a date in the Pinstripe Bowl with Pitt led by head coach and former Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi. The Panthers (8-4) will be a touch matchup against the Wildcats given Pitt defeated both Clemson and Penn State this year, two of the top five ranked teams at the end of the regular season.
Here are some other interesting links about this upcoming bowl game:
- Hail to Purple has a dedicated bowl page with some great information for ‘Cats fans;
- Northwestern this year had a 3-game period this year of offensive explosion, but still can’t match Pitt’s consistent offensive firepower shown this year;
- Campus Insiders believes that both special teams and intangibles favor the Panthers;
- With the game being played at Yankee Stadium, both schools have a connection to the New York Yankees;
- Pitt fans traveled well last year, which helped the Panthers secure the bid;
- Northwestern students may have a special opportunity to get tickets to the bowl game.